Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Strawberry Fields Sprint Tri

This past Sunday, I did tri #2 -- a sprint up in Oxnard. It was a 500m swim, 12 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.
All in all it was a fast course and a lot more fun than the pseudo olympic in san diego. I seriously enjoyed it!


Some Highlights and Notes:

1. I will no longer show up the morning of the race. I was completely a mess, trying to find a tire pump (my crappy one exploded on Coach Brad as he was trying to inflate my tires), forgetting to get a race chip (thanks to brad again, I got one at the last minute), and still fitting in my pre-race ritual (don't ask)

2. I ran into a high school buddy of mine -Doug Thaxton -- married for 10 years with 3 kids. It's funny as i'm so old it took me a few minutes to remember his name. THere was also the memory that in high school we 'hung out', but i was so afraid of boys at that point, I would practically run away if he even tried to hold my hand. Ha. Nothing like racing in your backyard...thank god it was him and not some other people I can think of that i want to avoid the rest of my life.

3. O.M.G. the WAVES!!! A group of us, about 5 minutes into the swim got CLOBBERED by a wave that broke pretty darn far out. All of a sudden, I was tits-up, and missing my goggles (thank god i barely grabbed them). I didn't even see it coming and neither did the 10 dazed people around me. Meanwhile, my coach Erika was practically out the other side already, traipsing up the beach on the way to the bike ride.

4. A 3 mile run = WAY BETTER THAN 6 MILE RUN!!!

5. Technically I could qualify for the "athena" category. This must be remedied. Call me "Athena" and I"ll shove my sport beans where the sun don't shine. *kiss!*

6. I beat the guy dressed as a giant strawberry!!!! I seriously don't like to lose to fruit.

No comments: