Tuesday, February 5, 2008

First Swim Practice!

Tonight was my first swim practice (of all time...not just this endeavor). I was pretty nervous beforehand, but also excited. My friend Jillian from school prepped me on keeping my hair in good shape (basically, there's no hope), and dealing with body image issues (yell 'hey look, it's ELVIS!', then make a mad dash for the pool.)

I had my gear -- a pretty cool reversible teal/lime green swimsuit, pink speedo goggles, and a grey silicone cap. I felt like those women that show up to tennis clubs on the weekend with all the latest gear and matching outfits and then proceed to whiff every other ball coming at them. In other words, a nice suit does not a swimmer make...though it was part of my strategy -- act 'as if' right?

Everyone was really really nice -- I got to talking with a few people right away, including our Honoroed Teammate Megan who got diagnosed with Hodgkins WHILE training for her first one last year -- the irony. I also found Christy, who I'd met at the kickoff saturday, and she too had gone out and purchased a suit after that event -- the same one as me. And the same goggles. Apparently, a wide assortment of suits/eyewear doesn't exist in the west LA area, but it IS a relatively cute suit for sports swimming so i forgive us. :)

After a demo, we chose lanes, from the advanced ones (to the left) down to remedial all the way on the right. Guess where I put myself. Later I determined that some natural athletic abilities at LEAST warrants a stay in the second lane from the right, so I promoted myself. The first practice was mostly just balance exercises across the pool...no arms, just floating and kicking with our faces tilted up out of the water. It felt good, light, and peaceful. I was pretty psyched for the first attempt.

Getting home, i felt a fatigue and dizziness that seemed odd for just a few passes back and forth in the pool...but some good ole stir fry and a sting on the couch watching america idol, i was back to normal and ready for the next time!

*update* omg, getting up the morning after was rough! But plans for a swim with my friend Dahna this afternoon regardless. :)

No comments: